A Surprise Date: Silence


Silence

Now this is not quite in keeping with my usual posts, but after watching this film with my beloved last week it got us thinking a lot about the secret and persecuted church.
I knew nothing about this film on the day I watched it as it was a surprise date. Yes, I get taken to see films about persecution as a surprise date, what can I say, this is obviously true romance! When I found out what we were going to see, I wasn’t sold, but we went anyway.
I did not enjoy this film the way I would enjoy The Holiday, Bruce Almighty or a Harry Potter film. I enjoyed it because it got me thinking. I wished I had my note book with me to note down all the amazing and challenging things God was raising in us as we watched.

Silence is Directed by Martin Scorsese who as the Church Times notes, ‘just can’t leave God alone’ after directing other films based around Christianity such as The Last Temptation of Christ. Before Scorsese became a director, he began training as a Catholic Priest, so this explains the importance of Christianity to him. His most recent endeavour, is an adaptation of the book by the Japanese write Shusaku Endo set in the 17th Century. The film tells the story of two young, and perhaps naive priests, Rodrigues and Garrupe who go to Japan to find Fr Ferreira. Though this is no straight forward task, and they soon find themselves administering as missionaries, all while hiding from the Japanese authorities while spreading to word of God. This is not a true story, but rather a historical fiction focusing on the work of missionaries in 17th Century; an extremely dangerous time where priests were hunted throughout Japan. As well as this Rodrigues character is also based on an Italian missionary Giuseppe Chiara, who did missionary work in Japan.

As Harry and I walked out the cinema we did not know what to say, all I could think is ‘thank God I won’t be sent to do my curacy in 17th century Japan’. Though, once we got in the car we began discussing some of the film’s imagery and how appropriate it is to what is happening in the world now. (Syria, Eritrea, China, North Korea to name a few, Open Doors even have a persecution watchlist (http://www.opendoorsuk.org/). The film depicts the mental, physical and spiritual torture these priests went through because they would not deny God. They were effectively bullied into denying the existence of God by stepping or spitting on icons of Jesus. If they did not do this, they were killed or tortured until they did. Yet there was one character, Kichijiro, who always falling away from God, much like Peters denying of Jesus. We could not help but think he is like us as followers of Jesus, as he kept going back to the priests, begging for forgiveness from God. The film also depicts another character, The Inquisitor, which could be a symbol for the devil. Throughout the film, he repeatedly preaches to Rodrigues that Japan is a swamp and nothing will grow there. This made me think of the Parable of the Sower, Mark 4:10-20. Verse 15 says ‘ Some people are like a seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them.’  It seems Japan, at this time, was like this path.

So how did it make us feel as Christians? In Harry’s words ‘ As a film, I found this deeply challenging to my work in mission and as a follower of Jesus. The suffering and lengths to which these Christians are pushed is shocking, not in its depiction, but in the motivation for it. These men and women suffer because they believe in Jesus. It put into perspective what Jesus tells us when he says “deny yourself, take up your cross and follow me” in Mark. Being a Christian, is about being prepared to be outcast, spat at, beat up and ultimately murdered for your faith in Christ. It’s rough, it’s hard and to be honest I hate to even put myself in the shoes of those Christians depicted in the film.
What the film highlights so well, is that in our lives we will have times of silence, where we feel distant from God, where we feel like he isn’t even there anymore. In this film, it’s so bleak; it looks like God’s kingdom break through is impossible. It looks like evil has overcome, but it hasn’t! Because Jesus already suffered this road of persecution and death when he poured out his grace on the cross; for those characters, for me, for you. He is so close to us, holding us and lavishing his grace upon us; his amazing, unending and scandalous grace! It’s ok to feel like everything is stacked against you and it’s ok to feel like you can’t hold on in persecution, Jesus went through it too, he understands. God shows in this film, that he turns up, he won’t forsake us. But he does it his way; because he knows best. We might feel like no good can come out of a situation, but ‘impossible’ is not in God’s dictionary’.

I think it is fair to say that as Christian’s who so outwardly express their faiths, this film hit hard and is one we keep discussing after seeing it due to current affairs.  I recommend it to anyone who has a heart for the persecuted church or who wants a reminder of some are things people go through for Christ. But, whatever you do, do not take noisy food. The film lives up to its name.

Be Blessed
Steph and Harry.

Here are some other links about the film if you wish to take a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqrgxZLd_gE


No comments