Mental health week-Set the world on fire!

Mental health week
Set the world on fire!

“Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.”


Everywhere I go I keep hearing this saying. But, it is difficult to take on when being yourself is not always easy. I often feel unable or not good enough. It is a feeling which can spiral out of control with the pressures of life.


Since starting to train as a vicar I have learnt a lot about myself. One key thing is that I am scared to ask for help and when I do not ask for help my body crashes.

It has been a tough month, with lots of work, Easter, a break in and day to day worries. But, I was not telling anyone how I felt.
I'm a human to, but I felt I needed to be some super disciple who can cope. That is where I was terribly wrong, because there is a reason we have Jesus.

I have learnt that it is OKAY to appear weak and cry. I'm only a human, training to become a vicar doesn't make me any less.

Considering my last post I thought I would tell you a little about my anxiety and how that has affected me as a person. Especially because this week is mental health week. Anxiety is horrible, it can cripple you and leave you feeling powerless. It is a horrible thing. I can't really explain how I exactly feel when it strikes, but it is not fun.

Recently it hit me, out of nowhere. One minute I was sitting in a meeting the next I felt like someone was sat on my chest and the entire world had enclosed me into a tiny box of suffocation. It was horrible. Eating becomes a problem, I'm constantly exhausted, I do not want to talk to anyone, exercise or work. For a few days, I will feel like this. Then I will ask for help and begin to get back to normal. All is then fine.

However, so many people seem to think oh there's nothing wrong with you, get a grip. Your fine, you have nothing to worry about. Maybe I don't have a concern in the world on the surface, but in my experience, we all have concerns underneath and these can contain us. I can never explain where my anxiety comes from. It is normally a straw breaks the camel’s back situation. But, it is present.

Why am I writing this post?
Well to remind people that just because someone appears alright on the suffice or like they have got it together, it probably is not the case. Be kind, respect and love others. We must ask for help as God created us each individually to set the world on fire. But, we cannot do that without the love and support of others. What we see on the outside is or can be very different to what's going on inside.

Be blessed


Steph

#mentalhealthweek #lifestruggles #anxiety #christianblogger 

No comments